We’ve stopped at Mill View Ranch several times over the years while exploring Apple Hill, but nothing about it really stood out — maybe that’s why I didn’t remember this year until we drove into the parking lot.
Other Apple Hill Farms have that one special thing they are known for:
- Boa Vista Orchards has gorgeous views, a large store, and a pumpkin patch.
- Rainbow Orchards has hot apple cider doughnuts.
- High Hill Ranch has the pie shop, the fishing pond, and a huge number of crafters.
- The Fudge Factory has fresh baked pies and 40 different flavors of fresh fudge.
- Abel’s Apple Acres has lots of kid friendly activities.
- Apple Ridge Farms has a huge picnic area, lots of crafters, a huge hay maze, and gem panning.
- El Dorado Orchards has the only Apple Hill train for family train rides.
Mill View Ranch didn’t have that one special thing to really make them stand out as a must-visit Apple Hill farm… that is, until now.
Miniature Old West Town And Playground
Visiting Apple Hill, going from orchard to orchard, also means spending quite a bit of time in the car. It really is a road trip day trip. You’re in and out of the car all day and for little kids, this can be frustrating. I’ve experienced Apple Hill with young kids who have a lot of energy to burn and just want to run around.
Mill View Ranch has the perfect solution that makes this ranch a MUST-VISIT stop for anyone with kids!
The New Kids Town at Mill Valley Ranch is an old west miniature town built just for kids. It’s no wimpy town either. Kids Town is built with crowds in mind, so it’s big, spacious, and in the shade under the trees — and best of all, it’s free. You can let your kids run around and play all you want in this playground and kid-sized city with zero cost to you!
Kid Town has a hotel, police station, jail, schoolhouse, church, barbershop, candy shop, and bank, as well as barns, stables, a maze, slides, and a picnic area. There are also several wooden cutouts that provide you the perfect photo ops.
Stop by the Mill View Ranch kitchen for lunch or pack your own picnic and relax under the trees while your kids wear themselves out.
Mill View Ranch Pumpkin Patch
Set on top of the hillside, the Mill View Ranch pumpkin patch overlooks the orchards below and provides a beautiful view. While the pumpkin patch isn’t huge, it is stocked with a lot of pumpkins, next to a picnic area with tables covered in red and white checked tablecloths, and has a few great spots to take photos, including:
- A rusted, metal giant wild west stagecoach and horse
- Wooden photo cutouts
- Haybales surrounded by pumpkins
Mill View Ranch Barn & Kitchen
The Mill View Ranch Barn is packed with hand-made craft items and other products. They have a huge selection and the inventory is always changing and being updated.
We visited the ranch on a Monday, no one was in the barn, and the lights were off. It felt deserted and we weren’t sure what to do when Natalie found something she wanted to buy. So we grabbed the item and headed into the kitchen, which was also dark. While it felt closed, there was someone available so Natalie could buy her headband.
The kitchen has a variety of lunch options like ribs and chicken off the grill, drinks, baked goods and donuts, apple pie, apple fritters, fresh harvest fruit, caramels, caramel apples, and other sweet treats.
Know Before You Go
- Mill View Ranch is located at 2740 Cable Rd, Camino, CA 95709 and is Apple Hill farm #23 in El Dorado County.
- During the week this Apple Hill stop looks like it might be closed, but don’t be fooled, it’s still open.
- The kids playground and old west miniature kid town, and maze are all free — plan on a stop here to let your little ones run around and burn off steam. They’ll love it!