Abel’s Apple Acres is a family ranch and apple orchard that has been serving customers and welcoming families to Apple Hill in the foothills of the California Sierra Nevada mountains for four generations.
Along with Apple Ridge Farms, Rainbow Orchards, Boa Vista Orchards, Mill View Ranch, High Hill Ranch, The Fudge Factory, and El Dorado Orchards, Abel’s Apple Acres is one of our favorite Apple Hill stops because they have lots of family activities and photo ops perfect for our kids!
Unlike the hay mazes and corn mazes typically found at family farms, Abel’s has a maze crafted from what looks like fence panels, that’s just as fun — my son loves running through it, trying to find the right way out. They also have horse and pony rides, several wooden cutouts for photos (so cute), and a pumpkin patch.
Abel’s also has a craft fair area outside the Apple Barn for a variety of craft vendors selling everything from gifts and kitchen wares, to clothing and jewelry, to accessories, toys, and homemade gift items. All craft booths are open on the weekends, but only a select few are open during the week.
Lunch, Drinks, Snacks, And Baked Treats
At Abel’s Apple Acres, you’ll find a variety of fresh baked sweet treats like apple fritters, donuts, strudel, crisps, cakes, caramel, apple butter, and cookies, as well as a large variety of scrumptious pies. If you’re already full pf pies and apple sweets, try one of their candies, grab a drink, or enjoy a BBQ lunch.
- Candies: Abel’s Apple Acres sells all sorts of candies, including homemade fudge, turtles, caramallows, caramel apples, and homemade caramel.
- Drinks: Enjoy apple cider, sodas, juices, teas, coffee, hot chocolate, and lemonade, and if you’re lucky the espresso bar might be open when you’re there.
- Country Cuisine and BBQ: Try the beef, pork, turkey, and chicken sandwiches, seasoned teriyaki or barbecued chicken, garlic fries, burgers, hot dogs, salads, and homemade soups.
Know Before You Go
- Abel’s Apple Acres is located at 2345 Carson Road, Placerville, California 95667 and is Apple Hill farm #38 in El Dorado County.
- Abel’s says that they are open daily, but that really means the main barn is open and you can walk around the property. We visited during the week and most of the crafters were closed, the barn felt deserted, and the pony rides and face painting were closed.
- Abel’s is a popular Apple Hill stop because of the variety of activities and crafters, so get plan your stop for early in the day before the crowds get big and the parking lot fills up.
- Grab a piece of pie and relax on the back deck behind the barn — the view of the property is beautiful, especially with the fall trees turning colors.