Rainbow Orchards part of Northern California’s renown Apple Hill region, is a third generation family farm in Camino California that has been serving customers since 1977. Rainbow Orchards is an Apple Hill staple. As the home of the delicious Hot Apple Cider Donut, it has become a must-visit stop for every Apple Hill day trip and an autumn tradition for families across the region.
If I’m being totally honest, from the road, this Apple Hill orchard doesn’t look very impressive. They don’t have all of the activities and crafters that other orchards have. In fact, when you drive by, all you see is a rainbow barn. If you judge Rainbow Orchards on what you see from the road and decide to skip it, you’d bee missing out on something amazing…
Hot Apple Cider Donuts
Visiting Rainbow Orchards has been something we look forward to every fall season for one reason only. Hot Apple Cider Donuts. They are so unbelievably fantastic. These donuts are so popular, that over the years, several other orchards have jumped on the bandwagon and started selling apple cider donuts and apple donuts too, but Rainbow Orchards is by far the best.
You can buy one donut or a dozen donuts — and trust me, if you buy one, you’re going to wish you had bought a dozen. They are hot and fresh, semi-crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside. We blew through a dozen donuts as we relaxed in the picnic area behind the barn, and we even considered buying a second dozen!
Rainbow Orchards Bakeshop
The Rainbow Bakeshop sells not only their famous Apple Cider Donuts, but made from scratch fruit and berry pies, cobblers, crisps, tarts, jams, and syrups. Definitely try a piece of the apple pie, the pumpkin pie, or the peach cobbler — but consider splitting a piece so you still have room for the donuts.
Also be sure to grab a free sample of their fresh, unfiltered, all natural, delicious apple cider. It’s pressed on-site with their own cider mill and is delicious! You’ll also find wines and hard ciders.
Craving something more savory than sweet? They also sell homemade, from scratch corn dogs and hot link corn dogs, and on the weekends, tri-tip BBQ.
Rainbow Orchards Barn
When you walk in the Rainbow Barn, you’ll find an array of jams, jellies, and preserves made from Rainbow grown pumpkins, apples, pears and berries, as well as pumpkins and gourds.
Early in the season, you can find Gala, Red Delicious & Golden Delicious, and Granny Smith apples. Later in the season, they have Fuji, Pink Lady, Braeburn, Rome, Winesap, and Arkansas Black apples available. You can also purchase pears, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, and nectarines.
Family Picnic Area
Rainbow Orchards has a large picnic area under the apples trees behind the Rainbow Barn. It’s the perfect place to enjoy a family picnic before a sweet treat from the bakeshop and grab a photo on the old tractor under the trees.
While we relaxed and enjoyed our donuts and cider, the kids had a blast playing under the shade cover and running and jumping along the hay bale crooked mile. I just wish we had visited on the weekend when the stage wasn’t empty. In the past, we took our Apple Hill day trip on the weekend and there was live music to enjoy too!
Know Before You Go
- Rainbow Orchards is located at 2569 Larsen Drive, Camino, CA 95709 and is Apple Hill farm #10 in El Dorado County.
- Hot Apple Cider Doughnuts are the rockstars of this Apple Hill stop — skip buying one donut and go for the dozen.
- These donuts are known throughout the entire region, so the line gets really long on the weekend! Plan to visit Rainbow Orchards early in the morning or on a weekday.
- Try some apple cider pressed from their on-site cider mill! It’s delicious and they offer free samples in the barn!
- There is a big picnic area under the apple trees behind the barn. It’s the perfect spot to unpack your lunch and enjoy a family picnic.
- Other awesome family-friendly Apple Hill stops we love include: Apple Ridge Farms, High Hill Ranch and The Fudge Factory, Boa Vista Orchards, Abel’s Apple Acres, Mill View Ranch, and El Dorado Orchards.