If you’ve been connected with me through social media for any length of time, or you have followed this blog since I launched it earlier this year, you probably know that we have been having quite a bit of fun playing with our waffle iron and experimenting with what foods and recipes will work and will not work in the waffle iron — and we’ve discovered several new delicious waffle recipes!
We’ve made all sorts of interesting waffles, and we’ve only crossed a tiny amount of the recipes we want to try off our list. So far we’ve made:
- Stuffed Nutella Waffles
- Stuffed Taco Waffles
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Waffles
- Leftover Pizza Waffles
- Chocolate Brownie Waffles
- Biscuit Waffles With Chicken And Gravy
- Krispie Kreme Waffles
- Cornbread Waffles And Chili
- Funfetti Cake Mix Waffles
And today we made Turkey, Egg, And Vegetable Waffles With Avocado And Salsa.
I had been wanting to try eggs in the waffle iron for a while, and this breakfast experiment was a definite success. Chopping up the vegetables — spinach, onion, tomato, and red bell pepper — and turkey, and stirring them into the beaten eggs before pouring the egg mixture into the waffle iron worked absolutely beautifully.
While the eggs and veggies baked in the waffle iron, I smashed the avocado with a little bit of lemon and some salt and pepper, to go along with the salsa as an egg waffle topping.
Scrumptious. Absolutely scrumptious. The eggs had structure and a light and fluffy texture, the spicy turkey added a rich flavor, and the veggies were cooked just enough and still had some crunch to them.
Turkey, Egg, And Vegetable Waffles With Avocado And Salsa
Fluffy eggs and diced vegetables are cooked to perfection in your waffle iron, and when topped with avocado and salsa are irresistible.
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chop
- 1/2 onion, diced (white or yellow)
- 1 medium tomato, diced, drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 4-6 slices of turkey, diced
- 5 eggs
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Your favorite salsa
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat waffle iron on low-medium heat. Chop spinach and dice onion, tomato, bell pepper, and turkey, combining ingredients in a medium-size bowl.
- Crack eggs into the bowl, add salt and pepper to taste, and beat eggs into the vegetable and turkey mixture.
- Spray waffle iron wells with olive oil and pour egg mixture into each waffle well, being careful to not overfill. Cook for approximate 3-5 minutes, or until eggs are a golden brown. Mash avocado with a little salt and pepper while eggs are cooking.
- Remove breakfast waffles from the waffle iron, stack on a plate, top with mashed avocado and salsa, and serve immediately.
Makes 4 egg and vegetable waffles and serves two. Love bacon and cheese? Try adding chopped bacon or shredded cheese to your waffle! Don't have any yellow or white onions, just use green onions instead.