I don’t know about you, but I hate food waste! It kills me to throw anything out, or find a vegetable that’s gone bad because it sat in the fridge too long and we forgot about it. A lot of our food waste is eliminated by:
- Buying less food at a time and making two grocery trips each week instead of one.
- Using up vegetables or fruits that are over ripe in smoothies, or freezing them for later use in smoothies.
- Serving up “build your own” dinners, where most of the ingredients are kept separate, so the leftovers can be saved and repurposed in a different recipe.
- Using up dinner leftovers in breakfast scrambles.
The last option, using up leftovers in breakfast scrambles, is my favorite way to use up leftovers because it makes for some amazingly delicious and healthy breakfasts, like this Spinach And Butternut Squash Breakfast Scramble! Plus, we’re in the middle of our second round of Whole30 and this approach has changed up breakfast enough every day that we haven’t yet felt bored with breakfast.
I had an entire bag of butternut squash sitting in the fridge that we needed to cook, so I decided to stick half of it in a delicious Whole30 breakfast that’s just as delicious as it is healthy!
Making A Spinach And Butternut Squash Breakfast Scramble
This Spinach And Butternut Squash Breakfast Scramble recipe is easy and fast!
First chop the onion, bell pepper, and butternut squash — or if you’re like me just buy the bag of butternut squash already cut into cubes! Combine the vegetables with olive oil in a large skillet over high heat, stirring occasionally as the vegetables cook.
When the vegetables begin to brown and the butternut squash is soft, add sliced chicken sausage and continue to cook over medium heat. When some of the sausage pieces start to show brown marks, add the eggs, spinach, salt, and pepper and scramble until cooked through.
Top with avocado or Wholly Guacamole and serve immediately.
Spinach And Butternut Squash Breakfast Scramble
the sweet flavor of butternut squash perfectly balances the onions and peppers for a flavor combination that's out of this world.
- 1 1/2 cup cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 onion, chopped
- Olive oil
- 3 links, Adelle's Kale And Balsamic Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 4 eggs
- 2-3 large handfuls spinach, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the onion, bell pepper, and butternut squash. Combine with olive oil in a large skillet over high heat, stirring occasionally as the vegetables cook.
- When the vegetables begin to brown and the butternut squash is soft, add the sliced chicken sausage and cook over medium heat.
- When some sausage pieces show brown marks, add the eggs, spinach, salt, and pepper. Scramble until cooked through. Top with avocado or Wholly Guacamole and serve immediately.
Makes two breakfast scrambles.