When you do Whole30, you eat a lot of eggs… A lot a lot… A ton… And, when you’re brand new to Whole30, it’s really easy to eat far too many eggs because they’re basically foolproof. It’s also pretty easy to change up the flavors of egg scrambles simply by switching up what you mix in. My breakfast scrambles tend to use whatever veggies we have on hand or whatever is the oldest and needs to get eaten before it goes bad.
My latest breakfast scramble, however, wasn’t for me. It was for Brian. He LOVES mushrooms and I hate them (it’s a texture thing) but I guy them and cook them up every once in a while because it makes him so happy! I’m happy to report that he loved this Chicken And Mushroom Breakfast Scramble.
Making A Chicken And Mushroom Breakfast Scramble
For this scramble, I used a Whole30 compliant Kale And Balsamic Chicken Sausage, a couple handfuls of button mushrooms, and lots of veggies — onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, green onions, and spinach.
All of the chopped veggies except the spinach get sauteed in olive oil and about halfway through cooking, I add the chopped chicken sausage. This way the chicken sausage is hot all the way through by the time the veggies are done. While the veggies and chicken sausage are cooking, I satue the halved mushrooms in another skillet with a little olive oil. I keep them separate because they’re the star of this dish and I like to pile them on top of the scramble instead of hiding them in the eggs.
I add the eggs and the spinach to the veggie and chicken sausage mixture at the same time so the spinach doesn’t get too soggy. Then, when everything is done cooking, I plate the scramble, pile the mushrooms on top, and serve it immediately.
Chicken And Mushroom Breakfast Scramble
Level up your everyday breakfast scramble with delicious sauteed button mushrooms.
- 2 eggs
- 1 chicken sausage, chopped
- Olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- Handful of spinach leaves, chopped
- Button mushrooms, halved
- Black pepper
- Chop the chicken sausage. Dice the onion, peppers, tomato, and green onion. Add veggies to a medium skillet with olive oil and sautee over medium-high heat until the onions become translucent. Add the chicken sausage about half way through.
- While the veggies are cooking, halve the mushrooms and add them to a small skillet with a little olive oil and cook over medium heat until soft.
- When the mushrooms are about ready, add the eggs, spinach, and salt and pepper to the veggie and chicken sausage mixture and scramble.
- Transfer the scramble to a plate, top with mushrooms, and serve immediately.