I was a little stressed about the Easter holiday last month. The holiday fell during our first Whole30 and my family loves to bake delicious treats, make decadent dips, and eat all sorts of great food, all of which is not Whole30 compliant.
Thankfully with some advance planning and communication, Whole30 during a holiday was no big deal. My family did a potluck-style backyard picnic and egg hunt on Saturday, so we just ate a HUGE breakfast and opted-out of the potluck. Then on Sunday, we invited Brian’s parents over to our house for Easter Brunch, so I could control the menu and the ingredients.
I was super excited to take a break from our normal Whole30 breakfast scrambles and make a Breakfast Bake instead. A Breakfast Bake is basically the exact same thing as a Breakfast Scramble, but instead of scrambling all of the ingredients together over the stove, you layer them in a baking dish and bake it in the oven.
Making The Tomato Basil Breakfast Bake
Along with the Tomato Basil Breakfast Bake With Italian Turkey Sausage, I also make a big stack of Chocolate Chip Waffles, a spinach and fruit salad, and Spicy Breakfast Potatoes. I knew I was trying to juggle too many things at once, but my secret was the breakfast bake — it’s an easy recipe that can be managed in the background around other things.
First, I chopped a small onion and removed the casings on the Italian Turkey Sausages, placing both the onion and the sausage in a large skillet with some olive oil. As the onion and sausage cooked over medium heat, I broke up the sausages into crumbles, and then reduced the heat to low-medium. Second, while the sausage and onion continued to cook, I sliced the tomatoes and basil leaves. Next I cracked the eggs into a measuring cup, added the Italian seasoning, sea salt, and black pepper, and beat everything together really well.
To assemble the Tomato Basil Breakfast Bake With Italian Turkey Sausage, I transferred the cooked sausage and peppers to a 13×9″ baking dish, poured the egg mixture evenly over the top, sprinkled the sliced basil leaves across the top of the eggs, and then placed the tomato slices. The Breakfast Bake then went into the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Everyone was gushing over this Tomato Basil Breakfast Bake. While it was really filling, Brian and his dad both had seconds. I’ve already been asked to make this again, which is no problem in my book because it’s so easy and makes a ton!
Tomato Basil Breakfast Bake With Italian Turkey Sausage
Wow everyone at the table with this delicious and gorgeous breakfast bake packed with summer flavors from fresh tomatoes and basil leaves.
- 1 pkg Italian turkey sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1 small onion
- 4 small tomatoes
- 1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop onion, remove sausage casings, and add both to a large skillet with some olive oil. Cook over medium heat, breaking the sausages into crumbles, then reduce heat to low-medium.
- Slice tomatoes and basil leaves. Crack eggs into a measuring cup, add Italian seasoning, sea salt, and black pepper, and beat everything together really well.
- Transfer cooked sausage and peppers to a 13x9" baking dish. Pour egg mixture evenly over the top of onions and sausage. Sprinkle sliced basil leaves over the eggs and place tomato slices across the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.