I’m pretty sure that I’ve shared before that one of the main reasons we like making waffles so much is that it gives us an opportunity to use up our leftovers in new and delicious ways.
Natalie and I were brainstorming some ideas of what we could make from what we already had, and as we were checking to see what we had on hand:
- She found a box of cornbread in the pantry, and
- I found a variety of leftover veggies from different Mexican dishes and breakfast burritos and leftover ground turkey taco meat in the refrigerator
I immediately thought about the Jalapeno Honey Cornbread Waffles And Chili I made a while back, and I hatched an idea. Taco Cornbread Pie Waffles. We could combine all of the leftover Mexican food ingredients into the cornbread batter and make a waffle version of taco pie.
Using Up Our Leftovers
I preheated my waffle iron on medium heat and made the cornbread batter according to the directions on the box. I then added about half a pound of ground turkey taco meat, red bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, green onions, corn, and a little bit of black beans. I mixed it all together just enough to cover everything I added with batter.
When the waffle iron was ready, I scooped the chunky cornbread batter into the waffle iron and closed the lid. I let the Taco Cornbread Pie Waffles cook for about 4-5 minutes. I really let the outside get nice and brown because I wanted to be sure that the waffles would stay together in one piece when I removed them from the waffle iron — and they did! It totally worked!
What I love about this Taco Cornbread Pie Waffle recipe is that you can make it with fresh ingredients as a primary meal, or you can use this recipe as a guide to use up your Mexican food leftovers.
I used one box of Jiffy Cornbread, substituting almond milk in place of the milk to make it lactose-free. I also used dairy-free sour cream on top of the waffles along with avocado and diced tomatoes.
One box of cornbread mixed with a half pound of ground turkey taco meat and all of the other ingredients makes two large round waffles, which is plenty for two people. If you’re feeding more than two people, cut the waffles into triangles, pile them on a platter, and let people grab a couple to enjoy alongside a salad.
Taco Cornbread Pie Waffles
A delicious way to reimagine your Mexican food leftovers and create a waffle the whole family will love.
- 1/2 pkg ground turkey
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- Red bell pepper, chopped
- Tomato, chopped
- Yellow onion, diced
- Green onions, diced
- Sweet corn niblets
- Black beans
- Cornbread Mix
- Almond Milk
- Sour cream, dairy free
- Preheat waffle iron on medium heat. Prepare cornbread according to the directions on the box (with eggs and almond milk).
- Add the ground turkey taco meat and all chopped and diced vegetables to the cornbread batter and mix until all ingredients are covered in batter.
- Scoop the batter into the waffle wells and close the lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the waffle turns a dark brown. You need to cook them longer than other waffles to ensure the waffle hold its shape and sticks together when you remove it from the waffle iron.
- Remove the cooked Taco Cornbread Pie Waffles from the waffle iron, top with dairy-free sour cream, sliced avocado, and diced tomatoes, and serve immediately.