One of my favorite all time breakfasts, other than breakfast sandwiches, breakfast bruschetta, and breakfast burritos, are huevos rancheros. Mmmmm… just thinking about huevos rancheros makes my mouth water. But we’re in the middle of The Wholee30 and while that means no beans and no tortillas, it doesn’t have to mean now huevos rancheros!
For this breakfast scramble, I combined spicy ranchero sauce and barbecue chicken to create a delicious and healthy version of huevos rancheros as a breakfast scramble.
At the beginning of the week, we made a huge batch of Garlic Marinated Barbecue Chicken to use in recipes throughout the week, so we already had the chicken on hand. Then when I was grocery shopping and buying some more Tapatio, I saw the ranchero sauce, read the ingredients, saw that it was Whole30 compliant, and rejoiced!
I knew right away I was going to make a Whole30 version of huevos rancheros.
For breakfast the next day, I sauteed chopped onion, peppers, green onion, and tomato in a little olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper, and some red pepper flakes. While the veggies were sauteing, I chopped up the barbecue chicken and tossed it in with the eggs when the vegetables were done cooking. I then poured in the ranchero sauce and scrambled it all up.
Now normally Brian’s put hot sauces on every single breakfast scramble I make. He loves it and spicy food. But this breakfast didn’t need any. It was just spicy enough without being too spicy, and with the ranchero sauce and chicken, I didn’t even miss the refried bans and tortillas.
Spicy Chicken Ranchero Breakfast Scramble
Spicy ranchero sauce and barbecue chicken turn this scramble into a mouth-watering, healthy version of Huevos Rancheros.
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 barbecue chicken breast
- 1/2 can ranchero sauce
- 1/3 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 large bell pepper, chopped (or 3-4 mini peppers, chopped)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes, just a sprinkle
- Chop the barbecue chicken and set aside. Chop the onion, peppers, green onion, and tomato.
- Combine in a large skillet with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Saute vegetables over medium heat until the peppers and onions begin to get black marks.
- Add the chicken, eggs, and ranchero sauce. Scramble and serve immediately.
Makes enough for two people.