In theory, this was a good idea. In reality, it was a terrible, but delicious idea.
Waffling a peanut butter and jelly sandwich will ruin your waffle iron.
It will make such a huge mess that eating the waffle just isn’t worth it unless you’re going to throw away your waffle iron when you’re done. The sticky, caramelized mess inside the waffle iron from the jelly was almost as bad as the time we cooked Krispie Kreme Doughnuts in the waffle iron for dessert.
Thankfully, I have a waffle iron cleaner named Brian. I cook and he, for the most part, cleans up my mess — including the waffle iron with only a small amount of complaining.
Putting the mess aside for a moment… these Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Waffles were amazing. The bread was toasted, the peanut butter was warm and gooey, and the sugars in the jelly caramelized while cooking, making it extra sweet. This hot waffled sandwich tasted much more like a dessert than a sandwich.
Tips For Making Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Waffles
If I were going to do it again, here’s what I would do differently:
- Waffle a peanut butter sandwich, omitting the jelly. This will heat up the peanut butter and toast the bread without creating a caramelized, sticky mess in your waffle iron. This will also prevent your bread from getting too chewy from the jelly.
- When spreading the peanut butter on the bread, keep it away from the edges to help prevent the peanut butter from dripping out into the waffle iron.
- When the peanut butter sandwich waffle is done cooking, transfer it to a plate and add the jelly as a waffle topping.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Waffles
Not quite a sandwich and not quite a dessert, but quite amazingly tasty.
- Peanut butter
- Preheat the waffle iron on medium heat. Make a peanut butter sandwich, keeping the thick layer of peanut butter away from the edges of the bread.
- Place the peanut butter sandwich in the waffle iron, close the lid, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the waffled sandwich from the waffle iron, top with jelly, and serve immediately.
Don't try to make the Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Waffle like I did at home. It will destroy your waffle iron. Instead follow the instructions above and enjoy without a giant mess.