I’ve shared a lot of breakfast scrambles on the blog during our back-to-back Whole30 rounds. So many that even I am getting tired of my favorite meal of the day, which is a travesty! I love breakfast, so I made it my mission to switch things up some more and today I’m sharing a breakfast stack. Rather than mix everything together into a scramble, I’m stacking my flavors to create a beautiful plate.
Plus, this Italian Breakfast Stack With Sweet Potato And Marinara was freaking delicious!
Making The Breakfast Stack
Luckily, creating and plating a beautiful breakfast like this isn’t much harder than making a traditional breakfast scramble.
For the egg layer, I sauteed my veggies — onions, peppers, and green onions ⏼ like I always do. But instead of adding the eggs and scrambling everything, I pulled the veggies out of the pan, whisked them into my eggs, and poured them into round molds I just set in my skillet. Containing the eggs to a round shape ensures they’re just the right size for my breakfast stack.
There are two things you need to be careful of though:
- You must spray the heck out of the round egg molds with non-stick cooking spray, otherwise your eggs won’t come out!
- You’ll need to slip the eggs to cook both sides, which means removing the molds. Lift each one up slightly, checking to make sure the eggs are cooked enough, before removing them completely.
While the eggs were doing their thing, I coated the sweet potato slices in olive oil and Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt and stuck them under the broiler, turning them once to cook both sides evenly. Next, I prepared the avocado (or just grabbed a single serving pack of Wholy Guacamole), sliced the tomato and Brussels sprouts leaves, and heated up the marinara sauce in the microwave.
Finally, it was time to assemble the breakfast stacks: Top the sweet potato slices with avocado, tomato slices, half an egg round, Brussels sprout leaves, and marinara then serve immediately.
Trust me, you’ll love this!
Italian Breakfast Stack With Sweet Potato And Marinara
Create a beautiful breakfast plate by stacking flavors and wow everyone at your table.
- 2 sweet potato slices
- 2 eggs
- Avocado or 1 single serving of Wholy Guacamole
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Marinara sauce
- Handful of brussels sprouts leaves, sliced
- Chop the onion, bell pepper, and green onion. Add to a flat bottomed skillet and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Slice the sweet potato, brush both sides with olive oil, season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt, and place on a baking stone. Broil sweet potato slices, turning once to cook both sides evenly.
- Scoop the onions and peppers out of the pan into a small bowl. Add the eggs and a little Italian seasoning and whisk.
- Place round egg molds into the pan and stray with non-stick cooking spray.
- When the molds are hot, pour the egg and veggie mixture into the molds. When the egg rounds begin to look firm, remove the molds, flip the eggs, and finish cooking.
- Prepare the avocado. Slice the tomato and Brussels sprouts leaves. Heat up the marinara sauce in the microwave.
- Assemble the breakfast stacks: Top the sweet potato slices with avocado, tomato slices, half an egg round, Brussels sprout leaves, and marinara. Serve immediately.