Mexican food is by far my all time favorite type of food. From breakfast burritos to mole enchiladas to pretty much every kind of taco, I can always go for some Mexican food — and I especially love working Mexican flavors into our breakfast.
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and when combined with Mexican food flavors, I could eat nothing else. Seriously. And … lately I’ve been on a Huevos Rancheros kick.
Brian and I hit up Mel’s Diner recently and I ordered their Huevos Rancheros. I was starving and I couldn’t wait for it to arrive at the table so I could dig in. But then it came, I took a bite, and I was grossed out. Ick. Blech. Barf. There were mushrooms in the ranchero sauce.
I’m sorry, but mushrooms don’t belong in any Huevos Rancheros that I am going to eat. I was so disappointed, I went to the grocery store later that day, bought some ranchero sauce of my own, and I decided to make my own Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tostada Recipe.
This delicious breakfast tostada recipe was easy and fast. I started with white corn tortillas, and then layered them with refried beans, ranchero sauce, eggs and veggies, avocado, and green onions.
The secret to the extra flavor packed in these Huevos Rancheros is separating the ranchero sauce and mixing half of it into the refried beans to make them a bit saucier and spicier. Then pouring some on top of the beans under the eggs, and the rest over the top of the entire breakfast tostada.
I also try to work extra veggies in all of our meals, so I added chopped tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, and onions to the eggs. So yummy!
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tostadas
Everything you love about Huevos Rancheros in perfect, delicious little breakfast tostadas.
- 6 white corn tortillas
- 1 16oz can refried beans
- 1 7oz can ranchero sauce
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 white onion, chopped
- 2-3 green onion stalks, chopped
- 1 avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop tomato, yellow bell pepper, and white onion, saute in olive oil until beginning to brown. Chop green onions and set aside.
- Combine refried beans and half of the ranchero sauce in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring periodically.
- When vegetables are browning, add the eggs, and salt and pepper to taste. Scramble. Mash the avocado.
- Warm the tortilla over the stove until black marks begin to appear.
- Place corn tortillas flat on a plate or serving tray. Spread beans and ranchero sauce mixture over each tortilla and drizzle with half of the remaining ranchero sauce. Top with scrambled eggs and veggies, then avocado. Drizzle remaining ranchero sauce over the top of each breakfast tostada and sprinkle green onions over the tops.
Are you a bacon lover? Add some chopped bacon to your scrambled eggs. Like your breakfast even spicier? Add some diced green chiles or diced jalapeño.