Want to hear something funny? I never really liked bell peppers when I was growing up. Oh I ate a few dished with shopped bell peppers in them and the meals were good, but take a bit bite of a bell pepper? No way. Looking back, I think it was because my parents always bought green bell peppers and even today I really would prefer to never eat a green bell pepper!
Now red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, or the little baby sweet peppers… those are my jam. I think I eat peppers every day now. I also love tacos but the tortillas aren’t very good for you and sometimes lettuce wrapping things just means there is too much lettuce.
What’s the solution? Ground Turkey Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers. With these babies you get the amazing flavor of roasted peppers and all the taco fixings and guacamole combined.
Making Ground Turkey Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
We use ground turkey because my husband stopped eating all red meat and pork products after going through gall bladder cancer but if you’re a ground beef person, feel free to substitute that.
The trick you need to understand, which is the secret to this whole dish turning out well, is that you need to use big fat bell peppers. The long skinny ones won’t do. You need the girth because you want lots of room to stuff them with the taco mixture!
After slicing the bell peppers in half and removing the seeds, place the pepper halves in a glass baking dish, give them a little brush of olive oil, cover with foil, and bake for about 30 minutes. While the pepper are cooking, chop some onion, tomato, and green onions.
In a large skillet, combine the onion, ground turkey, taco seasoning, and water as directed on the package. When the turkey mixture is almost done, add the black beans, corn, chopped tomato, and green onion and mix it all together. Use this filling to stuff the bell pepper halves — and really pile it on.
Finally, return the baking dish to the oven, this time uncovered, and bake for 10 more minutes. Then just top with avocado and serve!
Ground Turkey Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
Skip the tortilla and serve your tacos stuffed in a grilled bell pepper.
- 3 Bell peppers
- 1/2 lb Ground turkey
- 1 pkg Lawry's Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 can corn niblets
- 1/2 can black beans
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 green onions, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice bell peppers in half, remove seeds and interior, brush with olive oil, place in a glass baking dish, cover with foil, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Chop the onion, tomato, and green onions.
- Place ground turkey and chopped onions in a large skillet. Prepare according to the directions on the taco seasoning package.
- Add black beans, corn, chopped tomato, and green onion to the ground turkey. Mix well.
- Generously fill bell pepper halves with the taco mixture, really piling it on. Return baking dish to the oven, this time uncovered, and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with avocado, and serve immediately.