I’ve said this repeatedly, but I love breakfast. I love everything about breakfast. It’s one meal that you basically can’t screw up and it almost always super easy.
Breakfast burritos used to be my go to breakfast food, but now that we’re eating Whole30, tortillas are out and breakfast scrambles are in. Scrambles are fast and easy, especially when you prep your veggies for the week in advance, and they taste AMAZING!
Onions, peppers, tomatoes, green onions, and spinach are my breakfast vegetable staples. They go in almost every breakfast scramble I make because I love the flavors so much. I usually chop all the veggies on the weekend, so when making breakfast for Brian and I during the week, all I have to do is grab a handful of each veggie, throw it in a skillet, and saute them up with eggs, seasonings and spices, and maybe some potatoes.
Here’s the deal about the veggies: I chop them small. I don’t know about you, but I don’t wan to bite into a big chunk of bell pepper or onion during breakfast. I love the flavor as a part of the whole scramble, but that early in the day, I don’t like big pieces. The onions, peppers, tomatoes, green onions, and even the spinach are chopped, sliced, and diced into small pieces, which allows them to mix into the eggs and other ingredients really well. This in turn, ensures every bite is packed with flavor.
The things I add to the vegetables, like the seasonings and spices and the leftovers from dinner the night before, drastically change the flavors of my scrambles and keep us from getting food fatigue.
This Whole30 breakfast scramble has onions, peppers, tomatoes, and spinach, as well as potatoes and leftover Whole30 compliant citrus marinated chicken that I picked up from the Mexican food place near out house. I wanted that spicy Mexican food flavor, so I seasoned the scramble with cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
Chicken, Vegetable, Potato Breakfast Scramble
Combine leftover chicken with potatoes and veggies to create a breakfast scramble that start's your day off deliciously.
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
- Baby creamer potatoes
- 1/3 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 handfulls spinach leaves, sliced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cube potatoes and place in the microwave to cook on the "potato setting." Chop onion, bell pepper, spinach, tomato, and chicken.
- Sauté vegetables in olive oil. Add potatoes and all seasonings except salt and pepper when onions and pepper begin to brown, mix occasionally as cooking.
- When potatoes begin to show brown marks, add the eggs, chicken, spinach, salt, and pepper, and scramble all ingredients together.
- Serve immediately.
Makes two breakfast scrambles.