For Natalie’s 14th birthday, we knew we wanted to do something extra special. And, because almost every female birthday in our family is fairly close to Natalie’s birthday, we decided to do a girls trip to Las Vegas to celebrate all of our birthdays together!
Our party was Natalie and I, my mom and mother-in-law, my youngest sister and her mother-in-law, and three of our closest family friends. Our quick weekend getaway included tickets to see Blue Man Group on Friday night and Mystère by Cirque du Soleil on Saturday night. And while the rest of our trip was open to do anything we wanted, there was one thing we knew that we had to do…
Ziplining down Fremont Street in Old Vegas at night!
Originally we planned to go ziplining on our first night in Vegas after Blue Man Group, but when back in our hotel room, changing our clothes, I briefly thought, “Wait… It’s Friday night, do we need reservations?”
I quickly jumped online and saw that almost every single zipline and zoomline slot was sold out! Yikes! So, we regrouped and purchased tickets online for Saturday night — well, more like Sunday morning at 1:30 am!
On Saturday night, after seeing the incredible Mystère at Treasure Island, we headed over to the Fremont Street Experience ready to zipline. It was too early for our reservation and we needed to kill some time, so we decided to walk down Fremont Street… which may have not been the best of ideas with a 14 year old!
Needless to say Natalie saw some things that were a little shocking and I used the experience as a teachable moment about making good decisions in life.
SlotZilla Las Vegas
Standing 12 stories tall, SlotZilla is a multi-million-dollar slot machine-inspired zip line attraction and one of the best things to do in Las Vegas.
Called the world’s largest slot machine, SlotZilla features two 35 foot tall showgirls, a 20 foot “Welcome to Fabulous Downtown Las Vegas” sign, and Las Vegas icons like over-sized dice, a martini glass, a pink flamingo, and coins all lit up in bright neon lights.
SlotZilla offers two different thrill ride experiences that will have you soaring across the Fremont Street Experience beneath the Viva Vision canopy:
- The Zipline is 77 feet high. Flyers travel 850 feet or halfway down the Fremont Street Experience in a seated position. The landing platform is between the Four Queens and Fremont casinos.
- The Zoomline is 114 feet high. Flyers travel 1,750 feet all the way down Fremont Street to the other end of the canopy in a flat superhero-style position. The landing platform is at the Golden Gate casino.
Ziplining Down Fremont Street
Technically we didn’t ride a zipline, we rode a zoomline! We soared side-by-side through the air, under the world’s largest video canopy and light show, surrounded by neon signs, bright lights, and classic Vegas hotels and it was super fun and totally AMAZING!
Just know that the entire SlotZilla experience takes longer than you think it will. So, if you’re hot and thirsty like we were, don’t think you can wait and grab something after you zip down the street. If you do, you’ll be dying of thirst just like we were!
Here’s what to expect:
After checking in at the retail shop, we walked outside and up the stairs to a second-story loading area where we were weighed and strapped into a harness and our personal items were zipped into a bag. We stood around in this area with the heavy harnesses strapped on waiting for more than 30 minutes before boarding a cage-like elevator up to the zoomline platform. On the launch platform we waited another twenty minutes.
When it was our turn, we each stepped up to a padded surface, laid down on our stomachs on top of it, and waited while the ride attendants attached our harnesses to the zoomlines and clipped on our bags. Then the wall in front of us opened up revealing the street far down below us and surface we were laying on dropped away so we were hanging in the air above it.
Almost immediately we began zooming through the air over the center of the Fremont Street Experience. Speeding down the zoomline, watching the people below, and taking in the neon lights and old Vegas signs was an incredible experience! I am so happy I got to share it with Natalie and close friends, and that we did our Las Vegas zipline at night and not during the day!
After we got our photos to commemorate the experience, we ducked in a store to grab some Gatorades and head back to our hotel. Natalie and I finally got to bed at 3:00 am… just in time to grab a few hours of sleep before heading to the airport to go home.
Know Before You Go
- The SlotZilla Zip Line is located at the Fremont Street Experience at 425 Fremont Street #160, Las Vegas, Nevada 89101.
- SlotZilla is open Sunday through Thursday from 1:00 pm to 1:00 am, and Friday and Saturday from 1:00 pm to 2:00 am.
- The lower Zipline is $25.00 and the upper Zoomline is $45.00. Save $5.00 on either line by flying before 6:00 pm.
- SlotZilla often sells out so buy your tickets ahead of time online.
- Flyers under the age of 13 must be accompanied by a flyer at least 13-years-old or older.
- Flyers must weigh a minimum of 60 pounds, but not more than 300 pounds.
- Your boarding time is not your flight time. It is the time your experience begins. From that time, it takes at least 30-60 minutes to go through the safety checks and get ready to fly down Fremont Street.
- You will be provided a bag for things like glasses, phones, purses, and souvenirs. The bags are attached to your equipment and travel with you as you fly.
- The zipline and zoomline photos are taken as you come in for the landing, so be sure to smile as you approach the landing platform.