After riding the free Grand Canyon National Park shuttle to Trailview Point and hiking the Canyon Rim Trail to Maricopa Point and Powell Point, we walked to Hopi Point.
Hopi Point is THE point along Hermit Road. It sticks out farther north into the canyon than any other scenic viewpoint on the Grand Canyon and offers the most amazing views on the South Rim.
From Hopi Point, you can see Dana Butte, 2,000 feet below the overlook, the Shiva Temple and Zoroaster Temple formations, as well as Isis Temple, Horus Temple, and Osiris Temple on the North Rim. Because the Colorado River bends northwards, this is also the first scenic viewpoint where the western Grand Canyon comes into full view and you can see all the way to Havasupai Point and the Great Scenic Divide.
At this stunning, panoramic scenic viewpoint, the overlook is right alongside the road, making it a popular spot to watch the sunrise and sunset. As one of the only viewpoints with restrooms, this is a great spot to stop and have lunch… but we kept going to Mohave Point to enjoy our lunch with a lot fewer people!
Know Before You Go
- Hopi Point is located on Hermit Road west of Grand Canyon Village, Arizona 86023 in Grand Canyon National Park, Coconino County.
- Hermit Road follows the South Rim for 7.0 miles from Grand Canyon Village to Hermit’s Rest. The Canyon Rim Trail also travels from Grand Canyon Village to Hermit’s Rest, but over 7.8 miles because it hugs the edge of the canyon rim and runs between Hermit Road and Grand Canyon.
- Don’t want to hike the entire Canyon Rim Trail? No problem? You can walk/hike between scenic overlooks or take the shuttle and mix it up, so you could walk the shorter distances and ride the shuttle for the longer distances.
- In the winter, you can drive your own vehicle from scenic viewpoint to scenic viewpoint, but the rest of the year, you need to ride the free shuttle bus.
- Traveling from Grand Canyon Village, the Hermit Road (Red) Shuttle Route stops at nine overlooks — Trailview Overlook, Maricopa Point, Powell Point, Hopi Point, Mohave Point, The Abyss, Monument Creek Vista, Pima Point, and Hermit’s Rest. Traveling from Hermit’s Rest to Grand Canyon Village, the shuttle stops at only four overlooks — Hermits Rest, Pima, Mohave, and Powell Points.
- You can also travel to Hermit’s Rest by bike. If you didn’t bring a bike, you can rent a bike at Bright Angel Bicycles near the South Rim Visitor Center.
- There are restrooms available at this overlook.