Okay. While I love a lot of the shows we go to and usually find myself thoroughly entertained, last night I said something I don’t usually say: “This might me one of my new favorites!”
Monday night, Inspired Imperfection was invited to join a group of Sacramento bloggers and social media influencers to preview The Drowsy Chaperone presented by Broadway At Music Circus. The night kicked off with a pre-party that served up snacks and wine from Downtown & Vine and delivered social media tips and best practices from the team at Music Circus and Julie Gallaher of Get On The Map and Sacramento Top 10, who gathered us all together as part of the Broadway Sacramento Ambassadors program and InstaYelpTweetASnap group.
My mom and I both LOVE musicals and after having a fabulous time seeing together Oklahoma!, she came as my guest again. What’s really cool is that my daughter Natalie has established herself as a blogger as well and earned her own invite, which meant she also got to bring a guest!
After wrapping up the pre-party, we grabbed some popcorn and found our seats. If you’ve never been to a Music Circus show at The Wells Fargo Pavilion, you need to put it on your bucket list. The theater is round and the seats surround the entire stage, which means there is no true backstage and the show takes place on the stage and in the isles. Oh… the stage also rotates and rises so there really isn’t a bad seat or view in the house!
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Drowsy Chaperone is a bit of a different show than what you might expect. There’s a character affectionately referred to as “Man in Chair” who narrates the entire show from his living room. It’s as if you’re watching his memories of his favorite 1920’s musical — The Drowsy Chaperone — come to life as he plays the soundtrack record and recounts the story.
Hailed by New York Magazine as “The Perfect Broadway Musical,” The Drowsy Chaperone bursts to life on stage with the hilarious tale of a celebrity bride and her uproarious wedding day. This loving send-up of the Jazz Age musical, featuring one show-stopping song after another, is musical comedy at its best.
This is a Broadway At Music Circus premiere and it only runs from Tuesday, July 9 through Sunday July 14, 2019. That’s it. One week.
All I can say is get your tickets now and go see this show. The costumes were stunning, the singing and dancing were joyous and fun, and the characters were lovable and ridiculous and funny all at the same time. From the innuendos to the pastry puns, we laughed out loud throughout the whole show (as did everyone around us)!
I highly recommend making this a girl’s night out or a date night for this week — and if you can’t make it to a show, cross your fingers Broadway At Music Circus brings it back in the future.
Know Before You Go
- Tickets for The Drowsy Chaperone start at $45
- Tickets are available by phone at (916) 557-1999, online at BroadwaySacramento.com, or in person at the Wells Fargo Pavilion Box Office.
- The Wells Fargo Pavilion is located at 1419 H Street, Sacramento, California 95814.
- Evening performances are Tuesday through Saturday, July 9 to July 14 at 7:30 pm. Matinee performances are Thursday, July 11 and Saturday, July 13 at 2:00 pm, as well as Sunday, July 30 at 3:00 pm. Parking is available on the street and in the garage across the street.
- This musical comedy is a spoof of musical shows of the 1920s. It contains some adult humor including sexual innuendo and jokes regarding drinking and alcoholism.
- Children under four (including babes in arms) will not be admitted.