It’s that time again! Today is opening day for the Sacramento County Fair and we’re excited for everything that comes along with the fair, including Monster Trucks, bull riding, farm animals and a petting zoo, delicious food, circus acts, entertainments and shows, live music, midway rides, shopping, and more.
The Sacramento County Fair runs throughout Memorial Day weekend — Thursday, May 23 through Monday, May 27, 2019 at the CalExpo Fairgrounds near Arden Fair Mall.
Last night was the media preview night for the #SacCountyFair2019, which means members of the news media and local bloggers (like Natalie and I) were invited to hop aboard the Western Railroad Express, tour the grounds, see a few shows, and of course, eat all sorts of awesome fair food! Not only did we have a blast getting a sneak peek at this year’s fair, we got to hang out with some other awesome bloggers too, which is always fun!
The Lowdown On The Fair Food
Now you’re always going to find fair staples like corn dogs, hot pretzels, deep fried everything, ice cream, fresh squeezed lemonade, barbecue, and burgers. But if you really want to take your taste buds for a spin, skip the same-old fair food and try something new.
From the Burnt Ends Tri-Tip Sandwich and the Pig Wheels Mini Donuts (my favorites) to the Mac And Cheese Balls and the Strawberry Pineapple Funnel Cake (Natalie’s favorites) almost everything we sampled was incredible. I only say almost because the Deep Fried Fanta — yes, that’s deep fried curly strings of orange soda — was a little weird.
One standout food was the Deep Fried Avocado. The avocado was rich and creamy, the breading was crisp and crunchy, and there was a salty, spicy seasoning on the outside that was to die for (as long as I also had water nearby).
The only bummer about the food tasting is that in year’s past, we all voted on the Best New Fair Food, Best Savory Fair Food, and Best Sweet Fair Food and then they announced the winners. This year we tried the food and voted, but never got to know who won. Hopefully we’ll find out at the fair.
The 2019 Sacramento County Fair
In it’s 83rd consecutive year, the Sacramento County Fair will welcome over 100,000 guests, deliver free educational tours to 10,000 local school children, and enable 5,000 locals to compete in livestock and competitive exhibit programs.
As you wander through the fairgrounds, you’ll find pony rides, camel rides, street musicians, hypnotists, puppet shows, jugglers, livestock, comedians, games, and even a Veloci-Raptor Dinosaur. Trust me when I say that with more than 40 free events happening every day, there is no shortage of family-friendly things to do at the fair.
Some of our favorite activities include:
- Captain Jack Spareribs: This pirate not only wields a sword nicely but also juggles torches and knives, cannonballs and clubs… and oversees a crew of miscreants that includes a talking monkey!
- Something Ridiculous: A high-energy juggling and acrobatic duo who juggle almost anything they can get their hands on and climb up a free-standing ladder onto a ten-foot-tall unicycle or atop each other’s shoulders in a wildly entertaining, dynamic show.
- Great American Duck Races: Cheer on your favorite highly-trained mallard duck as they race to the end of the pool and if you’re lucky, join the racing team and participate in the show.
- Extreme Dogs: New to the Sacramento County Fair, this extreme stunt dog show will have you in awe as lovable rescue dogs will soar through the air, catch Frisbees, and dock dive.
- Ramos Brothers Circus: Visit the big top circus and watch incredible jugglers, silly clowns, beautiful horses, motorcycle dare devils, and the amazing flying trapeze.
- Walk On The Wild Side: Learn about exotic animals and their native habitat and enter through a rain forest where kids can play on a lily pad, slide through the water, and enter the magical jungle of wild animals.
- Great American Petting Farm: Get up close with animals at America’s premier petting farm. With no barriers inside kids can spend hours with 55 beautiful, friendly, hand-raised animals including: Nubian and Alpine Goats, Boar Goats, and miniature Pygmy Goats, Baby Doll Sheep, St Croix and Shetland Sheep, and miniature Sicilian.
- All-Alaskan Racing Pigs:
A team of the fastest and funniest racing pigs around! Flat-track racing and hurdling are their specialties, but a good gag is always on the menu.
You also can’t miss the 100,000 square feet of shopping and the Carnival Midway Of Fun that has 30 awesome rides — 20 in the main carnival and 10 for little riders ages 3-7.
And if that’s isn’t enough, there are two main Grandstand Events, including the Toughest Monster Truck Tour on Friday, May 24, 2019 and the Stars & Stripes Bull Riding with 30 bullriders, Rockin’ Robbie Hodges, The One Arm Bandit, and bucking ponies on Saturday, May 25, 2019. Both are happening in the Lasher Elk Grove RAM Arena.
On Memorial Day there is also a special event for kids — special 30-minute PJ Masks Meet And Greets! That’s right, at 2:30 pm, 3:30 pm, 4:30 pm, and 5:30 pm on Monday, May 27, 2019 you can bring your kids to meet the mystery-solving superheroes. What’s even better is that it’s included with fair admission!
Know Before You Go
- The Sacramento County Fair is held Thursday, May 23 through Monday, May 27, 2019 at the CalExpo Fairgrounds, 1600 Exposition Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95815. Enter through Gate D at Exposition Blvd and Challenge Way. Gate admission is located at the entrance to the Cal Expo Rodeo Arena.
- Fair hours and building hours are 10:00 am to 10:00 pm Thursday through Sunday and 10:00 am to 7:00 pm on Monday.
- Carnival hours are 11:00 am to 10:00 pm Thursday through Sunday and 11:00 am to 7:00 pm on Monday.
- The livestock pavilion hours are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Thursday through Sunday and 10:00 am to 5:00 pm on Monday.
- Parking is $10.000.
- Fair admission tickets are only $8.00/person on-site or $7.00/person presale and kids 12 and under are free every day. On Memorial Day, all members of the Military receive free admission!
- An unlimited ride wristband is $35.00/person on-site or $25/person presale and is sold in addition to fair admission.
- Are you a nursing mom? Check out the Mommy Lounge in Building C. It’s a private place for nursing moms enjoying the Fair.
- The Sacramento County Fair is a smoke-free environment (Hooray!).
- Come ready to shop! For 2018, there is over 100,000 square feet of vendor space!
- There are more than 30 midway rides to choose from — 20 in the main carnival and 10 for little riders ages 3-7.
- There are more than 40 FREE events, performances, and activities every day of the fair.
- Five different musical groups perform on the main stage and the community stage throughout the fair, as well as juggling acrobats, a pirate, and even a dinosaur!
- Included with fair admission, you can also visit the Great American Duck Races and try your hand at duck racing, check out the Extreme Dogs show, watch the All-Alaskan Racing Pigs run around the racetrack, and the watch the Ramos Brothers Circus.
- Wheelchairs and wagon rentals are available at Cost is $15.00 for 6 hours and $20.00