Brian and I both grew up in the greater Sacramento area and both remember going to the movies at “The Domes” in the Howe Bout Arden Shopping Center in Sacramento. I was sad to see the old theater being torn down, but woah baby, the new theater that has been built in its place is gorgeous.
The new Century 14 Arden Theatre, a Cinemark NextGen Cinema, opens to the public tomorrow, Thursday, December 1, 2016, but Inspired Imperfection was gifted four tickets to last night’s special, invitation-only, VIP night and “ticket tearing” ceremony to check out the new theater, try some concessions, and see a movie!
The doors officially opened 6:00 pm and I wasn’t sure how many people would be there or what our movie choices would be, so we arrived about 30 minutes early. It was a good thing we did too because there were members of the 501st Legion: Vader’s Fist walking around outside and my son just about lost it. It was by far the highlight of his night (and maybe Brian’s too).
Because we were close to the front of the line, we had lots of time to get more photos with the Star Wars characters, check out the beautiful, high-tech theater, and snag some free concessions (YUM!) before grabbing our seats for the movie.
Your New Favorite Sacramento Movie Theater
Here’s our take on the new theater — and why it’s probably going to become your favorite movie theater in Sacramento:
- The design is bright, open, and inviting. There are tables and chairs to relax at in the lobby, well marked trash and recycle bins throughout the theater, and big, easy to see signs directing you to the individual theaters.
- Reserved seating means you don’t have to arrive crazy early just to get a great seat!
- While they display movie posters like all movie theaters, this Century Movie Theater takes it one step further. They have an entire hallway wall lined with your favorite movie characters and who you see on the wall is different depending on which direction you’re walking. We totally stopped to grab some photos before our movie started.
- Self-serve, cafeteria-style concessions, including popcorn, Coke products, candy, chicken tenders, wedge fries, pretzel bites, and hot dogs, along with a cafe serving Dreyer’s Ice-Cream and Starbucks beverages, as well as beer, wine, and frozen drinks.
- All auditoriums have wall-to-wall screens and enhanced sound systems, plus they is a Cinemark XD auditorium and several have RealD 3D capability.
- No more cramped, uncomfortable movie theater seats! Instead, you get to relax in electric, plush, comfy recliners with footrests — and they are oversized so you totally get your personal space.
We had our kids with us for the special preview night, so we let them pick which movie we saw from the list of 14 different movies. Carter (my 10 year old) chose Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life because he had read the book and said it was really good and really funny — and I’m a fan of James Patterson’s children’s books, so we went for it.
The movie was excellent. The kids loved it, Brian loved it, I laughed out loud, and I cried — and I’m an adult! It was so good. If you’ve got kids, I definitely recommend taking the family to see Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life.
Century 14 Sacramento Grand Opening
Tomorrow, you too can check out this brand new Sacramento Luxury Movie Theater! It officially opens for business at 10:00 am, and with 14 screens, you’ll have a lot of movie choices. Radio personalities from multiple radio stations will be at the theater Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, December 1-3, and they’ll be giving away special prizes like tickets, Cinemark gift cards, movie swag, and concession vouchers for popcorn and fountain drinks.
Over the next few weeks, the new Century Theatre will be exhibiting the holiday’s biggest blockbusters including Office Christmas Party, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Collateral Beauty, Assassin’s Creed, Passengers, and Patriots Day. You can buy tickets on their website.
Century 14 Arden Theatre
Grand Opening: Thursday, December 1st at 10:00am
1590 Ethan Way, Sacramento CA 95825